May 13, 2015

in {all} things...

I finished reading the book of Psalms in the last few days and was struck again by the emphasis on praise. Praising the One who created us, who gives us life, who keeps us and who loves us.



"Let them praise the name of the Lord, for his name alone is exalted; his majesty is above earth and heaven....praise the Lord!"

...the world around us praises him
...creation sings praise to Him
...in life, in health, in sickness

Praising him should be the theme of our life. Praising Him is showing thanksgiving and acknowledgment of His hand in our lives.

Sadly, I find it much easier to praise God after something "good" happens. After something I like happens. Or on a sunny day when a cool breeze blows and it is great to be alive. Or after a cozy date night with my man. Or on a rainy day when I can cuddle up with books and coffee. Of course anytime after coffee.

But you know what? God doesn't want me to just praise Him then. Yes, He wants that praise because I believe He takes delight in seeing us have pleasure in creation, in others, in life. But He wants praise at all time.

why?

because He gives us life and love and strength. Our daily breath.

"the Lord is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. The Lord is good to all...All your works shall give thanks to you, O Lord."



I have been convicted about how little I choose to praise Him when it's hard. I long for a heart of gratitude that flows of praise to God. God has done so much for me! And I get "praise-less" over the littlest of things. Life robs me. God longs to give me joy and rest. To return my praise with His love.

...to praise Him when the week is rough
...to praise Him when I'm struggling with my husband or other people
...to praise Him when the road ahead looks scary and the big questions of the future like "how will we have enough money to get through school?"
...to praise Him when my supper doesn't turn out like I want it

so today, let's be grateful. Let's praise Him - for He is good!




7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise Him, because, no matter what, He is good. Maybe sometimes we don't praise Him because we see our circumstances and don't really see Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Bethany! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

      Delete
  3. Ooo! Charis, I needed to read this today and I thank God for sending it my way! :)

    It's been a long, good week but I'm tired and a little worn out and I can feel how easy it is to just be grumpy and "praise-less" as you said. But I want to sing praises to Him instead and am thankful for the reminder!!

    Blessings to you!
    Frannie

    //p.s. I may have sent this 3 times!! Ah! I'm trying to figure out/straighten out some things so I'm sorry if you keep getting lots from me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it could bless you Frannie! (& it only came through once...sorry about the issues!)

      Delete
  4. Thank you Charis - a convicting reminder that I just really needed!

    ReplyDelete